Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Draft #37 - G/W with a twist, pretty hard first pick

  Pack 1 pick 1:








  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



I think this deck is fine but not excellent. It can get the good G/W draw (well, minus the travel prep) and if I'm lucky enough to draw a swamp and Falkenrath Noble, I can see it breaking board stalls by just letting me blast my guys into my opponent's.

The draft was kind of hard for me. P1P1, I think stalker and departure are both better first picks overall than Gatstaf Shepherd, but the 3 of them in the pack made it a tough problem. The fact that the only green card was Shepherd kind of made me lean towards it. I'm really not sure if this pick is just plain bad or not but I'm happy with it.

For the most part I got lucky in pack 1, with the only other blue cards being a deranged assistant and two insane blue cards (drake and claustrophobia) in pack 6 for some reason, so my picks ended up being G and W and were pretty easy. P1 P2, I think Dead Weight is strong enough that it's worth taking over Hamlet Captain to stay on color. I think Hamlet Captain is kinda dorky, but black didn't really flow after that so I had to give it up.

I do think I was fighting with someone (possibly two people) for green, because I didn't really get lots of strong green cards. In pack 3, I saw that late falkenrath noble and I was debating cutting it instead of taking the only other card in the pack for me, a blazing torch (which I wasn't thrilled about, even though it does kill the noble I guess). Then I realized that I still had the dead weight, and I could just splash those 2 cards, and that's what made me take the noble. I had a conversation earlier in the day with Morgan Douglass where he had kind of a similar pick, and we both agreed that noble is good enough to splash.

Back to the early picks, if I did take stalker or silent departure, it would have been hard for me to take Avacyn's Pilgrim in pack 3 since I don't have any green cards yet. If you take a blue card first overall and then take Dead Weight like I did, what do you end up doing, especially in packs 4 and 5 where there just aren't any cards in blue or black?

Anyway, I zoomed through both of my R1 and R2 opponents. I didn't lose a game or even come close. I just played lots of early guys and got a ton of damage in before either of my U/B/G opponents could really do anything. I think this deck was good enough for a 3-0 but I split in the finals anyway because I didn't feel like playing any more.

I was really impressed with Silver-Inlaid Dagger this draft. I think it's at its best in decks like this. I don't like taking it too early and drafting around it (unless the other cards in the pack are bad and it helps me stay open), but if I do have an aggressive deck like this one I'll be sure to give it a little more weight in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment