Saturday, January 14, 2012

Draft #32 - SUPER easy G/W (with some close calls)

  Pack 1 pick 1:








  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



I think this deck is good. Not elite, but still good. I don't think there's that much more room for deckbuilding tweaks. I did consider splashing red for Rally & Geistflame but decided against it.

As far as the draft, I think the only two real choices P1 P1 are Dearly Departed and Moan, and I went with the rare since the color is better. I thought really hard about taking Chapel Geist P2 to stay on color, but decided Falkenrath Noble is just too powerful. Also I noticed a non-flip uncommon was missing. Chances are good that it was Fiend Hunter since I usually see those two guys together, but who knows. Pick 3 was tough because both of those white cards are good, so I went back to white by taking bonds.

Seeing gatstaf shepherd pick 4 (which is late IMO) combined with the wolf in P3 made me feel like green was way open, so I took the shepherd with plans to abandon the noble I took P2 and go G/W. It worked, since I got a lot of great green picks in pack 1 that were green. I think the guy to my right was white, but I can't explain why I saw bonds so late. Maybe that pack was just amped. Still, I got a whole second pack's worth of good white cards, and a couple in P3.

I feel like I might have bungled a few of the specific in-color picks. I took Kessig Cagebreakers P2 P2, because I know that's a strong card, but I really wanted Midnight Haunting since I wouldn't have any way to make Cagebreakers special in a random dorky G/W deck. I also had lots of decision points as far as 3 drops went. There are a few picks where I had to choose between at least two good 3 drops for my deck. Check them out and let me know if you'd have chosen any differently than me.

Additionally, I know I said earlier that I prefer drawing first in this format, and that's still true, but I don't always draw first and I believe it's very dependent on both your deck and your opponent's deck. If neither player is capable of a very fast, aggressive curve-out, then I'd much rather draw. For example, this specific G/W deck is capable of some very fast starts with Pilgrim, so I'd prefer playing first with it. On the flip side, if my opponent had a G/W deck similar to this one, I'd want to play first simply because I know that he'd want to play first (and for a good reason), and to try and get my cards out faster to prevent his from killing me before I can play any. (Matt Sperling wrote a good article about this subject on ChannelFireball.) I just prefer to draw in this format because 1) I don't think the super aggressive starts are as prevalent as I once thought they were, and 2) I think your starting hand is very important in this format and I like starting with a virtual 8 card hand.

Anyhow, I won round 1 vs. a B/R/u control deck. In game 1 I got a turn 2 Villagers that instantly flipped and tried very hard to defend it against a possible tribute to hunger, and it held up. I lost game 2 to Charmbreaker Devils & Brimstone Volley, and then I won game 3 just by getting a ton of damage in and then playing Dearly Departed after he temblored.

Round 2, my opponent didn't show up at all so I got a free pass into the finals.

I didn't offer the split in R3 because I think this deck can win, and neither did my opponent so we were off to the races. Unfortunately, I lost in 3 agonizing games because my opponent had what is probably the best U/G spider spawning deck I'll ever see in my life. I got to see his entire post-board configuration, so I've reconstructed it here to show you rather than tell you.




This deck is absolutely elite. It's one or two cards away from being perfect. I boarded in Purify the Grave, and it was never even close to enough because I couldn't use it to stop both the lab maniac alternate win condition AND the memory's journey - runic repetition infinite spiders / never deck combo. I got him super low in games 2 and 3, and could have killed him if I ever drew my Spare from Evil, but I never did.

Although I was tremendously upset about this loss, I guess it's still nice to cash, and I think I drafted reasonably well so I don't really have much to be upset about.

No comments:

Post a Comment