Saturday, January 14, 2012

Draft #34 - The signal is always changing

  Pack 1 pick 1:







  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



This deck is something else.

I forgot I had the Prey Upon, otherwise I would have started it over the second village ironsmith. I didn't see that I had it until I was boarding for (SPOILER ALERT) G3 of R3. In that game, my opening hand was 3 mountains, swamp, Prey Upon, Geistflame, Harvest Pyre, so I was kicking myself since I'd have had a 2 drop if I didn't make that change. It ended up being awesome though because it was the only way I had to remove the Bloodline Keeper my opponent had (since my graveyard hadn't filled up for pyre yet).

I'm positive I drafted pretty badly but I don't know exactly where. The first pick overall is pretty easy. As for 2nd pick, the only real cards are Pitchburn Devils, Evil Twin, and Skirsdag Cultist. Of those 3, Evil Twin is the most powerful effect, and I already have a black card, so that's what I took, planning on going for U, B, or both, depending on what made itself available (since splashing one half of the evil twin is not unreasonable). Pick 3, Bonds of Faith is the best card but taking it is out of the question since it doesn't really go with anything I have, so I took the drake. Then pick 4, I saw the brimstone volley, and although there are 3 safer picks there (mauler, assistant, torch) I took the volley because I think that effect is just too powerful to go any later than that. Perhaps this is where I went wrong.

After that, green started flowing and I refused to take any of the cards because I'd pretty much have to abandon all of the cards I already took. Maybe that line of thinking is wrong too. I'm not sure.

Once pack 2 started, I decided that there just wasn't enough blue going around, so I kind of settled on going B/R with a potential blue splash for evil twin and any loose departures I would manage to pick up. From there I just took the most powerful black or red card that would fit my deck, which I leaned towards defensive/control once I picked the Reaper P2 P3. If you have ANY different ideas about how this draft should've gone, I'd love to hear them.

Anyhow, I just barely beat the guy who got the Gavony Township in round 1, even though he drew it all 3 games and it was really tough playing against it because I missed tons of drops after turn 3 in games 2 and 3. After carefully rationing my life total, I managed to peel the right colors on key turns for my power cards Garruk and Reaper, and they both let me steal victory. I definitely played really sloppy in game 3 though because I was very frustrated about my mana.

In round 2, I pretty much walked all over my B/W opponent because he flooded pretty bad in both games and never had any kind of trump card or power card, just dorky losers that died to my dead weights.

I offered to split because I didn't think my deck was good, but my opponent declined and beat me in 3 games. I would have won the 1st game if I hit a key 6th land for Geistcatchers Rig on the only creature he had that was worth anything (Stitched Drake), but I missed it two turns in a row and lost 6 life points that I really needed to stabilize. Then I flooded in game 3 and he beat me with a moan of the unhallowed.


I wasn't too upset about losing in the finals, because I went way up due to the Garruk, and also because I had kind of resigned myself to losing in round 1 after I missed all those drops after turn 3. Things just went my way in that round, which I'm happy to record as evidence of good fortune (so I hopefully don't complain as much when I inevitably encounter bad fortune).

The only card I never drew out of my deck was Into the Maw of Hell. It would have been retarded vs. my round 1 and round 3 opponents at any point in any game I played vs. them.

No comments:

Post a Comment