Thursday, January 12, 2012

Draft #30 - Not so easy G/W

  Pack 1 pick 1:








  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



I feel like this draft was also relatively straightforward, although not nearly as much as the last G/W deck I had (draft #28), because it felt like there was more competition for green and white cards around me. As such, I think this deck is playable but mediocre. I'm not sure if the pilgrim P1P5 was enough of a reason to move into green as a second color, but it ended up being OK. I took the harvest pyre P1P8 because the pilgrim (and the 8/8) did not necessarily make me green for sure, and with a reasonably late pyre I felt that red might also be a decent color to jump into, but that was the only red card left in pack 1 and I opened daybreak ranger P2 anyway, soooo.

Harvest pyre was a last second 24th card since I was uneasy about only playing 1 mountain (even with vigil) for Daybreak, and I didn't want to start Spare from Evil or Spidery Grasp #2, so the pyre let me have a shot at removing something while giving me a decent reason to play a 2nd mountain. All of the cards in my SB on the right were either 24th card considerations or realistic sideboard options. Maybe it's just better to start the 2nd grasp, since pyre is unreliable in this kind of deck. I'm not in love with either option.

Round 1, I played vs. a U/G self-mill deck splashing red for pitchburn devils and burning vengeance, and black for spider spawning. He took forever to set up in game 1, but eventually stalled the board with 2 grizzled outcasts that I couldn't tap (and he always had enough action to re-flip them), and gnawed out of my reach. From there he made tons of spiders (he cast it 3 times via runic repetition) and killed me with 0 cards left in his library. On his lethal swing, he stalled for a few minutes and disconnected, then reconnected with 6 minutes to go, so I figured there's no way he'd be able to win another game because his deck was so slow.

I got to board in lots of nice cards: purify the grave, spare from evil, divine reckoning, and urgent exorcism (in addition to burning vengeance he had 2 claustrophobias).

In game 2, I got a quick darkthicket wolf draw and he turboscooped, probably to save time.

I lost a heartbreaking game 3 where he drew both of his claustrophobias and his creeping renaissance naturally, and dream twisted into a few crappy guys to bring back. I had an OK start (not blazing fast) but I flooded out and I didn't have enough resources to deal with his grizzled outcasts over and over via renaissance.

I hate this format.

On the plus side, I did get to enjoy the replay of my R1 opponent lose in G3 of R2 by not drawing Spider Spawning in time and decking himself, so, justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment