Thursday, January 12, 2012

Draft #31 - Tough multi-way first pick

  Pack 1 pick 1:




Cards I'm considering: Prey Upon, Midnight Haunting, Morkrut Banshee, Claustrophobia





  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



After I took the screenshot, I realized I had a pitchburn devils in my board and cut the Selfless Cathar for it.


The first pick was really hard for me. Prey Upon, Midnight Haunting, and Claustrophobia are all excellent cards I'm happy first picking. I'm less happy about first picking Morkrut Banshee, but I think you could make a case for it if you like black decks since it's the only serious black card. Then there's also the villagers + battleground geist confounding things. I've first picked them out of packs before, but here I think they're just worse than the removal cards in their colors.

I took Midnight Haunting for a handful of reasons. I feel like Midnight Haunting doesn't just go in every W/x deck, it helps to actively advance every W/x deck's gameplan. On top of that, the other two white cards in the pack are decently playable, but likely to table because of how juiced the pack is. (It worked, because they both tabled, and I was happy to take VBR.) I think picks 2 and 3 were easy, and after seeing the solid men in both colors of cards I have picks 4 and 5 I kind of mentally locked in on R/W, which I wasn't terribly thrilled about but whatever. Fortunately I think almost all of the decisions for the rest of the draft were pretty straightforward. There were lots of later packs that had multi-way creature decisions, and I think I navigated them pretty well, but I'm not confident. At any rate, I was pretty happy with the final product.

I actually breezed through all three matches. It was the first time I didn't actively offer a split in the finals, and I had a pretty easy time winning. Strange, because I don't think this deck is anything special.

I was really pleased with Into the Maw of Hell. I generally ignore that card, but every time I cast it during this draft it was crippling for my opponent. I also got really lucky to win a game in R2 with a miracle Rally the Peasants, to beat two 8/8 Splinterfrights and a 13/9 transformed Civilized Scholar with Wreath of Geists on it at 1 life. Since I basically never draft a deck where that card is useful, I had forgotten how swingy it can be, especially with Midnight Haunting. I'm also liking Dagger a lot more after this draft, because in decks like this it turns a lot of your pukey guys like Abbey Griffin and VBR into huge clocks. Taking a dagger early can ensure that even if you only pick up mediocre guys for the rest of the draft, you'll be able to construct a threat.

1 comment: