Sunday, January 15, 2012

Draft #36 - One pick changes everything

  Pack 1 pick 1:








  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



I think this deck is fine but not great. It has too many 3 drops so it can't really curve out, but most of its guys are aggressive rather than defensive. Still, if you can live a couple turns and set up, you can win a lot of races with the 3 copies of feeling of dread.

I tanked for a long time on the first pick and I had Morkrut Banshee highlighted the whole time, but decided to just suck it up and take the mauler, since it's generally easier to make him work than the banshee (and blue is better than black and etc). THEN, I tanked again on pick 2 because I think it's not out of the question to take Armored Skaab. It's definitely not as strong as Bonds of Faith (or even avacynian priest), but it's an important component in decks where Makeshift Mauler is good. I think that a more dedicated gimmick drafter would have instantly taken Skaab, but I like bonds of faith too much.

After I took bonds I realized just how much it shaped my draft. If I took skaab p2, I can take mulch p4, darkthicket wolf p5 and I have the beginning of an excellent U/G mill deck. As is, I had to ignore the green cards and take U/W aggro cards. My deck ended up OK (especially when I hit the lottery and opened Geist of Saint Traft while in U/W HOW FREAKIN LUCKY), but I couldn't help but wonder what my U/G deck would have looked like every time I saw a gnaw to the bone or whatever. I never saw Spider Spawning or a lab maniac or anything, so maybe it was for the better.

Anyhow, this deck ended up playing very good. Geist of Saint Traft was a monster every time I drew it, and I got extra value by using stitcher's apprentice to convert the angel into a 2/2 afterwards. All the feelings of dread helped him get in repeatedly, and also helped me to win races if I didn't have a geist.

I'm also coming around a little bit on Geistcatcher's Rig. Most of the time when I actually get to cast him, he has a huge swingy impact on the board that's worth his price tag. I'd still rather fill out my curve if I had a choice, but I'll pay a little more attention to it in future drafts.

I ended up going 3-0. I had some pretty tense but fun games, including G3 of R2 where I grasped my own geistcatcher's rig to get rid of both the dead weight that was on it and the falkenrath noble that was going to bleed me to death. I offered to split the finals, but my opponent wanted the QP straight up rather than flipping for it, so I said whatever let's just play it out. His deck had 2 bloodgift demons, so I don't think I could have won any long games, but fortunately for me I played geist on turn 3 in games 1 and 3 (with a stitcher's apprentice on turn 2 to defend against tribute to hunger, which he actually had!) and bashed him before his power cards were relevant.

By the way, in case you couldn't figure out what 3 cards Brad was telling me about that caused him to be 5 colors after 3 picks, they were Evil Twin, Instigator Gang and Avacyn's Pilgrim (taken in that order).

No comments:

Post a Comment