Monday, January 2, 2012

Draft #14 - Tough draft-defining decision point P1P2

  Pack 1 pick 1:




 Cards I'm considering: Invisible Stalker
 


Maybe that cleaver will table.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




 Cards I'm considering: Ludevic's Test Subject, Victim of Night

I tanked pretty hard on this pick. Test Subject is a neat card that's in the color I'm planning on playing, but Victim of Night is a solid removal card, and U/B is a fine color combo. I did just pass a victim and an interloper, though.

I decided to be safe and take Test Subject.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




 Cards I'm considering: Darkthicket Wolf

I think the wolf is the best card in the pack by far.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




Cards I'm considering: Deranged Assistant, Forbidden Alchemy

Here, I start dreaming of the U/G mill deck I've heard so much about. Both of these cards would be fantastic in it, but I don't know which one would be better. I end up going with alchemy because it's a little bit more versatile, but I'm willing to hear opinions on this pick.

If I took Victim over Test Subject, I might have taken Diregraf Ghoul here.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




Cards I'm considering: Armored Skaab, Blazing Torch

I look at torch for a second, but once I see the skaab I definitely settle on trying out U/G mill.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




 Cards I'm considering: Grizzled Outcasts, Vampire Interloper

I consider the interloper for a hot second (since I only have one green card so far) and I definitely would have taken it if I took Victim P2, but the outcasts is more playable in the deck I'm trying to draft. It's nuts how that second pick had so much of a ripple effect.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




Cards I'm considering: Ulvenwald Mystics

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:




 Cards I'm considering: Dream Twist, Wreath of Geists

Dream Twist is a fantastic engine card in my deck, but I think having the stalker is an excellent reason to take Wreath of Geists here.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:




 Cards I'm considering: Murder of Crows, Spider Spawning

Tough pick.

I almost auto-picked Murder of Crows. I think it's the best non-rare in the pack. On the other hand, I'm developing what could be an excellent spider spawning deck.

I think spawning makes more sense here and gives me a more firm direction for the rest of the draft.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:




Cards I'm considering: Selhoff Occultist, Butcher's Cleaver

I think I goofed this pick. The only card that would be any good with cleaver is my stalker, so I think I should have taken Selhoff Occultist (or maybe Skaab Goliath). But, that was what I was thinking when I took it - "I need more stalker buffs."

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:




 Cards I'm considering: Stitcher's Apprentice, Tribute to Hunger

I love apprentice, but there isn't much he would do in my deck. I'm already planning on having a swamp or two in my deck because of Alchemy and Spawning, so why not take the removal card? I might end up playing it or boarding it.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:




Cards I'm considering: Think Twice, Sensory Deprivation

I'm not sure if I need the deprivation here, so I go with a deck-smoothing card that I'm happy to mill.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:




Cards I'm considering: Armored Skaab

Pickin' skaabs

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




 Cards I'm considering: Ambush Viper, Dream Twist

I could be punting by passing up so many dream twists, but I just love 2 drops, especially ones that can occasionally be removal.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:




Cards I'm considering: Silver-Inlaid Dagger

More stalker fuel. I looked at Curiosity too actually, but since they're both stalker cards I felt like dagger had more utility.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:




Cards I'm considering: Shimmering Grotto

This will be very welcome in my deck.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:




Cards I'm considering: Makeshift Mauler

Seeing this card so late is a gift.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




Cards I'm considering: Dream Twist

Here's another nice gift.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




WOW LIVIN' THE DREAM

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




Cards I'm considering: Splinterfright

Is there a better rare to open for my deck than this one?

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:




Cards I'm considering: Undead Alchemist

I guess maybe this one. It's close. I think I like splinterfright more.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




Cards I'm considering: Festerhide Boar, Lantern Spirit, Unburial Rites

I consider the rites for a hot second because I'm going to be milling, but decide the white is too prohibitive. Neither of those guys excite me, but I chose lantern spirit in the end because I felt like I might be able to use it with dagger and wreath and cleaver to break stalemates quickly.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




Cards I'm considering: Spectral Flight

This is a good stalker card that's really useful in the rest of my deck too. I hope that boneyard wurm tables.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




Cards I'm considering: Darkthicket Wolf

It's a weird format when I'm thinking "wow, this is pretty late for a common 2 mana 2/2 creature."

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:




Cards I'm considering: Prey Upon

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




Cards I'm considering: Makeshift Mauler

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




Cards I'm considering: Dream Twist

I didn't even look at the bell, should I have?

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



I don't think this deck is elite, but I really like it.

I had 19 cards that were auto in. The cards on the right in my sideboard were the last few that didn't make it. I can't remember the 4 that did make it, but I think it was spider, dagger, wreath, and lantern spirit. I prioritized creatures since I felt like I needed to be milling lots of them to make my deck good.

R1

Game 1, I'm on the play. He has a turn 2 Ashmoth Hound which trumps my T2 viper. He attacks and passes with RRW up and I have splinterfight in my hand, so I decide it'll be OK to trade for half of a midnight haunting so I can have a play. It turns out to be bell ringer, so I just lose a guy instead. Probably a bad attack anyway. I spend the turn playing Undead Alchemist instead and pass. His turn 4 play is ELder Cathar with R up, which paves the way for me to play Spectral Flight on my Alchemist and bash for 6. I mill 4 creatures, so I have an instant army. He untaps and passes without playing any card at all. I get in with my zombie squad (but not the alchemist in case of rebuke), and he trades as best he can, leaving me with 2 zombies and him with a 3/6 bell ringer. I mill 1 guy out of 2 cards and pass with no play. On his next turn he plays Bonds of Faith on my Alchemist (not a great solution) and passes. On his end step, I Dream Twist him and mill 3 guys, and he instantly concedes.

Game 2, on the draw I keep the loose hand of 5 lands (all my colors at least!), Makeshift Mauler, Dagger. I proceed to get crushed by a turn 2 Hound, turn 4 Abbey Griffin, turn 5 Instigator Gang + Furor of the Bitten after getting modoed out and drawing only lands and another Makeshift Mauler.

Game 3 is a long drawn out affair. Long story short, he has Angelic Overseer and Bell-Ringer, and a trick to defend it from my Prey Upon (with a 5/5 Ulvenwald Primordials), but I also have an Armored Skaab with Spectral Flight, so the board stalls. We both keep adding guys and eventually he decides it's safe to get in with Overseer, which I use as a window to play Wreath of Geists on one of my guys (for 5) and bash him down to 4, then play Spider Spawning for 6 spiders. He untaps and concedes.

I'm pretty happy to win because it's tough to beat Angelic Overseer.

R2

Game 1, I'm on the play and I keep a slow hand of 3 lands, alchemy, alchemist, spider, and spider spawning and I get punished in the worst possible way. His draw is T1 Diregraf Ghoul, T2 Unruly Mob, T3 Midnight Haunting, T4 Bonds of Faith for my first creature of the game (the alchemist), T5 Falkenrath Noble + Doomed Traveler. I don't really have any cards that will let me come back.

Game 2, I'm on the play again and I mulligan into U, G, Wreath, Prey Upon, Spider, Lantern Spirit, and I don't ever draw a third land. He even mulliganed too and kept a 1 lander, so he got stuck on 1 for exactly one turn, but it was lands for him after that to play his 2 Midnight Hauntings and bash me.

I'm tremendously unhappy to lose in this fashion.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with the way the draft went, so I guess I shouldn't be too results oriented.

No comments:

Post a Comment