Monday, November 9, 2015

BFZ #5

  Pack 1 pick 1:




Hard pick. Adverse Conditions is a card that I love, a lot. In fact, I had it as 2nd best overall common/uncommon during our PT limited prep. I just think it plays extremely well on both offense AND defense (although preferably offense), and it supports a lot of the tempo strats that tend to be dominant in this format. It also doesn't immediately commit me to 2 colors.

I still ended up taking Sire though. I guess I just wanted to try it.


  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:


Yikes. Starting off in 3 different colors isn't exactly where I want to be, but none of these other cards compare to Noyan Dar power level wise.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 3:


Interesting pick. Had I taken Adverse Conditions, I'd have leaned towards Sheer Drop here, but with two awesome rares across 3 colors I went for the more control deck type card.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 4:


I don't think Pilgrim's Eye would have been unreasonable here, but I'm not even sure if I'll use the Sire yet, and Angel fits really well into a UW control type deck as a great stabilizer / finisher.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 5:


I kind of panicked here and didn't know what to take. All these cards kinda suck. I went with Culling Drone since it's the least replaceable of the 2 drops. In retrospect I kinda wish I had taken Felidar Cub, which would have kind of defended my Dampening Pulse.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:


Should have just taken Makindi Patrol. I tend to cut too aggressively in these drafts, and I really could have used this early drop (even if I don't have any Ally synergy).

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:


It's important to scoop these with Noyan Dar in your draft deck.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:


At this point, I'm not confident I'll be white (even though it's looking more and more likely), so I stumbled and took a black card. I think the safest pick would have been Rush of Ice. As far as Familiar vs. Complete Disregard, I'm not sure. I think Disregard is probably better, but I love how versatile Familiar is.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 2:


Alright, let's draft a white deck.

This was a FOIL Quarantine Field, by the way, which is one of those foil mythics that is sneaky expensive - it's the second most expensive foil online (behind Gideon) at 17 tickets. I didn't realize this until after the draft was over, so it didn't influence my pick at all (the fact that Quarantine Field is probably the best rare was what influenced it).

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 3:


Without any devoid or processing themes, it's easy to take the flyer since this is probably going to be a UW control deck.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 4:


Nice! I never got to try this card, so here's a decent spot to do that.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 6:


At this point the only exiling I have is from Sire, so I probably can't use the Reclaimer. That said, the only other choice I have is to cut Brutal Expulsion, so I decided I'd just take Reclaimer in the event that I get a couple Benthic Infiltrators or something.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:


THIS island was foil, thanks very much. If it wasn't for that, I'd have cut Silent Skimmer (which is annoying as hell to play against).

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:


The only "disciplined" picks I can make are Tightening Coils and Felidar Cub, so I end up deciding that Exert for 3 is probably good enough a lot of the time and jamming it. Besides, I wanted to get a measurement on the size of the boner produced when you Exert something and trigger Noyan Dar.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 2:


A lot of nice cards in this pack, but the ones I need most are early defensive drops. That is how I reasoned my way into taking Fortified Rampart so disgustingly early. I was extremely happy with this pick.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 3:


Well, let's run it back! There's nothing else even in my colors anyway (except for Murk Strider which I can't use at all).

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 4:


Despoiler is probably stronger just as a vanilla 5/5, but Cliffside Lookout is kind of an early drop and its ability is great in the late game (which I should hope I get to).

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:


I don't want another Greathorn, I'd rather have a 2 drop. I went with the more defensive of the two, especially since I'm not super likely to need unblockability in a UW deck.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:


I'm surprised I made this pick instead of cutting Skimmer. I think it was a good pick.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 9:


Another FOIL so I'm rich. Probably could have played the Demon's Grasp, wish I took it.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!


This deck was insanely fun. I lost one game in round 1 where I didn't have any early drops on the draw and got turbo curved out with Rush of Ice on top, but in pretty much all of my other games I was able to successfully employ the strategy of defend the ground early, play some slamjam 5 and 6 drops, and win the game. I went 3-0 after a pretty close round 3 vs. another d

Quarantine Field is elite.
Dampening Pulse is really impressive every time I play with it.
Sire of Stagnation is fine, but not super duper worth bending over backwards for.
Fortified Rampart is really important in decks like these, so it's important to cut them if you see them going around late and have nothing better to pick.
I normally don't like Anticipate, but it was great in this deck (even without Noyan Dar) since your needs vary so wildly throughout the game.
Skyline Cascade isn't as bad as I originally thought - when I started out drafting this format I leaned heavily towards aggro/tempo decks and I would hate the fact that I sometimes couldn't curve out because of it. It really shines in slow, doofy decks like these where you aren't as likely to need all your mana every turn.
Wave Wing Elemental is also a little bit better than I originally thought - it hits super hard in decks like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment