Monday, November 11, 2013

THS #6

  Pack 1 pick 1:




Underwhelming pack. The only cards that stand out to me (that don't immediately commit me to two colors) are Observant Alseid and Omenspeaker. Of those two, Alseid is much better.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:


The only cards that can compete with Alseid on power level are Purphoros's Emissary (who I don't really like all that much) and Disciple of Phenax, and Disciple isn't very good as an early pick (since he's kinda underwhelming if you don't already have at least a Gray Merchant).

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 3:


Here it's Griptide vs. Harpy. All other things equal, I tend to err on the side of cards that can stop ordeals, so I took Griptide.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 4:


If I took Harpy before, I'm taking Sentry here I think. As is, Aqueous Form is strong and underrated, and I like it a little bit more than Wavecrash Triton.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 5:


Tough to pass so many good bestow guys, but Naiad is one of the best.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 6:


Bleh. I'm not sure if Horizon Scholar is better or worse than Prescient Chimera, but I don't really like either of them, so I took the one that would win in a fight between the two.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:


Nice pack. I feel as if I'm committed to U/W at this point, so Ordeal and Prophet are out and it's down to Nimbus Naiad and Phalanx Leader. Of the two, Phalanx Leader is way better.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 2:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 3:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:


I like Triton Fortune Hunter, but he's not actually that good, and it's pretty challenging to find a spot where Gods Willing is bad.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:


Hard pick. Triton Tactics is extremely good and hard to play around, so I go for my first one of those instead of my 2nd Griptide.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 2:


 awwww yeah

There is a possibility that Thassa's Emissary is a better pick. I honestly don't know for sure. I've stuck both of them before though, and a snowballing Daxos is harder to beat than a snowballing Emissary.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 3:


Tough choice between Gods Willing and Aqueous Form. Form/Daxos is a very strong combo, but I already have one of each and I guess I feel like the second Gods Willing is better than the second Aqueous Form.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!


I think this deck is pretty bad. My first few picks in each pack were pretty good but the quality took a very sharp decline after that.

In round 1, I played against a G/W deck. We each had a t2 Snarecaster and decided to trade, and his t3 Fleecemane Lion was better than my t3 Traveling Philosopher. He added a Setessan Griffin and put up a nice clock, but I put Observant Alseid and Nimbus Naiad on my philosopher with Gods Willing backup and had a decent way to fight back.

There was an interesting turn where he attacked his monstrous lion into my 6/6 flying vigilance guy, and I figured I would trade my Gods Willing for his Feral Invocation or Savage Surge or whatever, and the card he had ended up being one of the very few cards that could make Gods Willing pretty bad in this spot: Artisan's Sorrow on my Nimbus Naiad. I had to use GW on my guy just to keep him alive, which felt pretty bad.

I was in the game for a little bit longer after that, but he played an Arbor Colossus and monstrified it to kill my Coastline Chimera, which was my last line of defense.

Game 2 I kept a very risky hand on the play: plains, two Traveling Philosopher, Ordeal of Heliod, Last Breath, and two blue cards. I need to draw any land immediately and I have a shot, otherwise I probably lose. I felt like I needed to spike to win with this bad deck anyway, so I gambled.

I got rewarded for my bad decision, because my opponent lost connection before I could even play my first land and timed out. Magic is a skill game, friends. I'll never know if I was going to draw that land or not.

In round 2, my opponent also had a U/W deck. His cards didn't seem excellent, but they were a little bit better than mine. I mulliganed to 5 on the play in game 1 and didn't have much besides an Ephara's Warden with Observant Alseid on it, which he took care of with Griptide. Then I died to a bunch of crappy Chimeras (coastline and prescient).

Game 2, I mulliganed to 5 again, but my opponent's draw was pretty underwhelming. His offense consisted of two Wavecrash Tritons and Coastline Chimera. I had plenty of time to draw into a nice defense, including a Coastline of my own, and eventually that turned into a nice offense with Phalanx Leader and a bunch of cards to target it with. I was looking pretty good for a while, and then all my hopes and dreams were dashed when he played Elspeth and wrathed my board. It was too hard to come back after that.

I'm not too upset about losing this one because I didn't really like my deck. I don't know how I could have drafted it any better, since I never really felt a strong pull into any color. I suspect that the cards passing through my seat were just underwhelming. I also feel like my 2nd round opponent opened Elspeth in pack 2 or 3 and switched into white for it, which may have resulted in a lot of quality white cards being unexpectedly taken from me.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.Jogos online
    friv free Games
    play Games friv 2020

    ReplyDelete