Sunday, December 25, 2011

Draft #5 - Stalker vs. Blasphemous Act, color waffling

  Pack 1 pick 1:




 Cards I'm considering: Invisible Stalker, Blasphemous Act




Hard pick. Unlike Divine Reckoning, I believe Blasphemous Act is a very good wrath. (To be honest, though, I haven't played with it before.) I've heard of people taking Stalker over anything, and I just wasn't sure where to draw the line.

I decided to try Blasphemous Act. If the number of cards that you'd take (first overall) over Invisible Stalker is so few that you could name them all, I'd love to hear what they are.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:




 Cards I'm considering: Fiend Hunter, Abattoir Ghoul

I like black/red more than white/red, which is the only reason I'm considering the ghoul. I think the fiend hunter is way more powerful though. When I decide that if worse came to worse I could fiend hunter one of my own guys to have it live through the Act I just took, I went with fiend hunter.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:




 Cards I'm considering: Deranged Assistant, Thraben Sentry

I think about the Assistant for a second, not to go 3 color, but in case I end up U/R or U/W. Ultimately I decide the sentry is the safer pick.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




 Cards I'm considering: Feeling of Dread, Grizzled Outcasts

I'm not thrilled with this pack. I don't feel like the Outcasts pulls me into green just yet, but I'm not happy taking Feeling or Abbey Griffin. I chose Feeling because I want to keep chopping white, and I feel like it's a stronger pull into white than a dumb griffin. Also, I'll probably play feeling even if I end up W/not-U.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:




Cards I'm considering: Ulvenwald Mystics, Elder Cathar

 The heavy amount of green in this pack makes me feel like it's OK to start taking it. Maybe it's better to keep staying open by taking Cathar, but if I'm going to move into another color, I'd rather do it sooner than later.


  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:




Cards I'm considering: One-Eyed Scarecrow, Forbidden Alchemy

Maybe the scarecrow is better because it's always at least a good sideboard card, but I chose alchemy because it's still pretty early. Looking back on this draft, I think this was a just plain bad pick.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:





Cards I'm considering: Nightbird's Clutches, Shimmering Grotto

I seriously consider grotto because I have like 4 colors worth of cards and might need to just splash the blasphemous act, but I decide I've been undervaluing Clutches take it as a "what if I keep getting red cards" option. In retrospect, I think this pick is bad too, but short of being in black, I couldn't have done much better.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:





Cards I'm considering: Night Revelers, Traveler's Amulet

At this point I'm not sure if I'll be green, since I only have a mystics, so I'm back to thinking I'll be R/W. I don't know what kind of decks want amulet, so I pass on it. If I took grotto the pack before this and amulet here, I could have felt a little better about not being firmly in a second color.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:





Cards I'm considering: Nightbird's Clutches

I'm still thinking R/W here, so I probably won't play any of these other cards.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:





Cards I'm considering: Kessig Cagebreakers, Chapel Geist

Now THIS is a card that pulls me into green. Cagebreakers is a bomb right? I briefly consider staying in white for Chapel Geist because I don't really consider that green might not be open after all, but I feel like Cagebreakers is so strong that it's worth it.


  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:





Cards I'm considering: Slayer of the Wicked

I think this is an easy pick.


  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:





Cards I'm considering: Brimstone Volley

 I'm not really considering anything else, but here's what I'm thinking when I take this card. I'm thinking, I could still end up straight R/W somehow, or I could splash this along with the blasphemous act. I think not having a clear idea of what I plan on doing ends up hurting me.


  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:





Cards I'm considering: Galvanic Juggernaut, Pitchburn Devils

Galvanic Juggernaut is perfect because it will end up in my deck no matter my color confusion does to my deck.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:





Cards I'm considering: Chapel Geist, Travel Preparations

By now I know how strong Travel Preparations is, but I feel like I don't have enough early guys to realize its full potential.


  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:





Cards I'm considering: Grizzled Outcasts, Harvest Pyre

In general I think Harvest Pyre is not better than mediocre, but I'm considering it here because I'm thinking "will I end up G/W or R/W?" I'm not thrilled with the creature, but it's a creature.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:





Cards I'm considering: Travel Preparations, Voiceless Spirit

My thought process when I took Travel Preparations was, "there's no way I'm taking such a mediocre card over Travel Preparations." What it should have been was, "I need a creature in a color that I'm definitely going to play."

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:





Cards I'm considering: Geistflame

Best card in the pack. Here's where I start to give the GW splash R deck more consideration.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:





Cards I'm considering: Chapel Geist, Cloistered Youth

I'm lucky to get a creature so late. I briefly consider Cloistered Youth because I have like no 2 drops, but I don't like it very much so I go with Geist.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




I finally found a good time to take Wooden Stake!!

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:




 Cards I'm considering: Geistcatcher's Rig, Voiceless Spirit, Village Ironsmith

This pick is made more difficult by my continuing color confusion. I end up choosing the rig because it's a strong ETB guy that doesn't care about my color mess.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:





Cards I'm considering: Doomed Traveler, Butcher's Cleaver

I undervalue the cleaver in general, so I think about taking it here. However, my deck has a really pitiful early game, so I take the traveler to try and fill some holes.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:




 Cards I'm considering: Festerhide Boar, Blazing Torch

All these artifacts are allowing me to keep my color confusion up.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:




 Cards I'm considering: Thraben Sentry, Festerhide Boar

I kind of wanted a beefier guy, but I chose Sentry since I'm definitely white.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:




 Cards I'm considering: Village Bell-Ringer, Hanweir Watchkeep




Of course I consider the bell ringer because it's a 3 drop and it's in my safety color, but the red 3 drop fills the same slot and it's so much stronger that I can't pass it up.


  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:





Cards I'm considering: Ambush Viper, Shimmering Grotto

It's at this point that I realize, "ugh I'm just gonna be straight 3 colors." The grotto would help my mana, but I don't have 2 drops so I take this card to fill the hole.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:




 Cards I'm considering: Silverchase Fox

I'm really happy to see another 2 drop so late.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:




 Cards I'm considering: Abbey Griffin

I think the fact that creatures like this go so late should tell me something about how good they are.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




 Cards I'm considering: Village Ironsmith, Spidery Grasp

Well, now I have one 2 drop in each of my 3 colors!

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




Cards I'm considering: Traitorous Blood, Mulch

Aside from cagebreakers, mulch isn't that useful in my deck. Although, maybe it should be for color considerations. I haven't tried to use it like that yet.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




I wish this deck was better.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!



I'm really dissatisfied with this deck. The mana is really bad, and there's no early game action. I feel like there just weren't many good low drops.

I instantly lost in the first round. I mulliganed to 4 on the draw in game 1 because I couldn't find a hand whose spells matched my lands, and I died to a transformed Ludevic's Test Subject. In game 2, my earliest play was a turn 4 Thraben Sentry, and I had to use my Brimstone Volley on the Test Subject before it could transform, while my opponent Mulched into two Boneyard Wurms. I didn't have a good way to stop them and didn't have anything besides Thraben Sentry and Slayer of the Wicked (with no targets), so I pulled the trigger on my Blasphemous Act. He followed this up with a Spider Spawning for 7, flashed it back for 7 more, and then Runic Repetition for 7 more.

I don't really know what to think of this draft, or the fact that I've suffered 4 first round losses out of 5 drafts so far.

Usually when I draft I don't pay too much attention to signals. What I mean by that is that I'll let my first few picks define what colors I'm going to draft, and I'll only deviate from those colors if it's obvious that I'm getting completely chopped off a certain color. Even though I've always been mediocre at limited, I've never managed to rack up enough losses that made me question my draft philosophy. However, in the past few weeks I've played a handful of live Innistrad drafts, and I've been getting into trouble by becoming attached to my first few picks, and ending up with a deck that is light on playables because the person passing to me in packs 1 and 3 was in the same colors as me. Because of that, I have the impression that Innistrad is a draft format that requires a lot of finesse.

This draft made me feel like that impression just gets me into trouble. Pick #4, I could have taken Grizzled Outcasts, but I chose Feeling of Dread because I would likely play it if I was W/x, and I didn't really know what X was going to be yet. Besides, I didn't feel pulled into green by Grizzled Outcasts. I mean, I did have Blasphemous Act after all, so I felt some kind of pull into red, but of course I was willing to abandon it. Then, the next pick, I saw a ton of green cards and figured it was OK to move into green, so I did. That pack turned out to be an anomaly though, and it screwed up my entire draft. The entire time I was staring at this pile of cards with a few playable white cards, and not enough playable red or green cards to have a firm idea of which color to pursue. It made me feel like thinking about it caused me to panic and I ended up with a more scrambled deck than I would have otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment