Sunday, December 25, 2011

Draft #3 - Loaded first pick, really tough P3 P2 decision

  Pack 1 pick 1:




 Cards I'm considering: Stitched Drake, Bonds of Faith, Makeshift Mauler, Avacyn's Pilgrim, Geistflame, Fiend Hunter, Mentor of the Meek


Lots of fine cards in this pack. I'm not sure what the best card to take is. Here are some of the things I thought about.

There's lots of white, so avoiding white might be nice since you get to avoid being chopped hard in pack 2. On the other hand, white is pretty deep in general it seems, and the best cards in this pack are white. Avoiding white would also likely mean avoiding green, because the only green card I'd take is the pilgrim and I don't really want to first pick it.

On the other hand, it would be hard to fully cut blue since both of those blue creatures are very good, so if I subscribe to this idea then the pick would be Geistflame. Geistflame is good, but it didn't feel right taking it first overall in this very strong pack.

If I were to take a white card though, which one would I take? I don't think the mentor is strong enough to take over one of the two removal(-ish) cards.

I took the full amount of time on this pick before going with Fiend Hunter. I ignored all color/signal considerations and decided to just take what I felt was the strongest card.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 2:





Cards I'm considering: Avacynian Priest, Chapel Geist, Kruin Outlaw

I don't know how good Kruin Outlaw is. It doesn't look spectacular, so I feel like it's better to stay white. I like chapel geist, but priest is removal-ish so I go with that.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 3:





Cards I'm considering: Chapel Geist, Doomed Traveler

Chapel Geist is more powerful.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 4:




 Cards I'm considering: Spectral Flight, Tribute to Hunger, Crossway Vampire

I have to go into another color here. I don't like R/W and vampire makes my mana bad,  and I don't feel like spectral flight is useful yet, so I take the removal card.


  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 5:






Cards I'm considering: Smite the Monstrous, Darkthicket Wolf, Spidery Grasp, Ulvenwald Mystics, Walking Corpse, Disciple of Griselbrand

Lots of options here. I'm already kinda sorta black, but continuing for some crappy 2 drops doesn't seem ideal. I like spidery grasp, but I don't have a good enough creature base yet. I don't like smite enough to take it over a powerful card like mystics, so I go with mystics.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 6:





Cards I'm considering: Silverchase Fox, Rebuke, Unruly Mob








I like the fox the most out of these. The mob is better in U/W decks, and rebuke is not as good in aggressive decks.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 7:




Cards I'm considering: Ulvenwald Mystics, Abbey Griffin, Rally the Peasants

The mystics is really strong, and I'm not too fond of abbey griffin.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 8:






Cards I'm considering: Orchard Spirit, Moment of Heroism

I'm not too keen on moment of heroism. I usually avoid taking it unless ther'es nothing better.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 9:





Cards I'm considering: Avacyn's Pilgrim, Gallows Warden

Lucky! Right before this pack, I realized the pack I opened was so strong that I might get a table out of it, and I got the best possible one. I definitely need the engine card more than a 3/3 guy with flying.

  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 1 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 1:





Cards I'm considering: Travel Preparations, Prey Upon

Really hard pick for me. Travel preparations is so good, but I'm going to be light in removal in this type of deck, so I choose prey.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 2:





Cards I'm considering: Avacynian Priest

I think this is a pretty easy pick.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 3:





Cards I'm considering: Gatstaf Shepherd, Blazing Torch

I'm not sure what's right here. Removal is good, obviously, but a flipped shepherd is very strong and I'd rather have a deck that curves out reliably.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 4:





Cards I'm considering: Bonds of Faith

Hooray removal!

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 5:





Cards I'm considering: Doomed Traveler, Elder Cathar

I love doomed traveler, but I think cathar will be better in my deck.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 6:




Cards I'm considering: Rolling Temblor, Morkrut Banshee, Battleground Geist

I have to go off-color here. I decide since I'm not gonna play any of these cards, I'll cut the one that's the best against my deck.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 7:





Cards I'm considering: Prey Upon




This deck is turning out to be pretty good.


  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 8:






Cards I'm considering: Spidery Grasp, Moonmist, Doomed Traveler

I feel like I need more 1s, so I take the traveler. I gave moonmist serious consideration because of my two mystics, but if I really wanted a moonmist (I don't) I'd probably be able to get one later.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 9:





Cards I'm considering: Make a Wish

There's an outside chance I could play this I guess.

  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 10:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 2 pick 15:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 1:





Cards I'm considering: Elder Cathar, Villagers of Estwald

Is it ever defensible to cut Olivia here? I'm not concerned with the value of these cards or anything, so it would just be an "I don't want to lose to this" pick. I'm trying to improve and feel like one of the keys to improvement is discipline, so I ignored it completely and went with a solid man (in this case, villagers, since I already had a cathar and don't have many tricks to use him).

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 2:





Cards I'm considering: Slayer of the Wicked, Elder of Laurels

Oof.

I honestly don't know which one is better. I took the full amount on this pick.

I ended up going with slayer, because it's an instant 2 for 1, but I've never played with elder and I've heard it's extremely good. Given my picks up until now, which would you take? Which would you take if it were first overall?

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 3:





Cards I'm considering: Bonds of Faith, Gallows Warden

I should stop writing other cards under "cards I'm considering" unless I'm actually considering them, because I think this is an easy pick and I was never for a second going to take anything else.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 4:





Cards I'm considering: Travel Preparations, Chapel Geist

I love as many geists as I can get, but I go with travel prep because I don't have one yet.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 5:





Cards I'm considering: Elder Cathar, Villagers of Estwald

It's the same pick as before, but no Olivia this time. I don't have a reason to change my mind so I just run it back.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 6:





Cards I'm considering: Midnight Haunting, Blazing Torch

This could go either way. I end up going with haunting for the "flip a werewolf and still have a spell factor" now that I got werewolves for days, but maybe I just always want removal. I can imagine this being a slam dunk if I have more than 1 travel prep.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 7:





Cards I'm considering: Orchard Spirit

I don't think this is a mulch deck.

   My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 8:





Cards I'm considering: Cobbled Wings

I don't think Wreath of Geists is playable in this deck. Especially not after passing Mulch.

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 9:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 10:




What a wonderful present!

  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 11:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 12:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 13:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 14:




  My Pick:






  Pack 3 pick 15:




  My Pick:






This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.

Visit the draft converter today!
 





I think this deck is very good. It's certainly one of the best I've had so far in this format. I feel uneasy cutting my 17th land for a 5 drop, but I think he'll be good with 3 preys, and it's not like I have much use for extra mana anyway.

I end up losing in game 3 of round 2 to the guy who got the Olivia I opened, and the Elder of Laurels, along with a Balefire Dragon and a Garruk Relentless. Pretty frustrating to not win any packs with this deck, but I can't be too unhappy because I think I at least drafted very well. I'm interested in any opinions on the fringe decisions during the draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment