Thursday, May 15, 2014

JBT #2

  Pack 1 pick 1:




Well, I said that I could possibly see myself first picking Magma Spray last draft, so now it's time to test that theory. Interpret the Signs looks really fun, but if this format is anything like the last two then six mana for a not-totally-reliable draw effect is mostly a pipe dream and not something to build your deck around.

I think Tethmos High Priest could be bonkers, but I'm not ready to gamble on him yet.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:


Bleh, two of the same crappy rare. I was going to take Deicide (for reasons that I myself am still unsure of), but then I realized that Reprisal is basically the perfect removal spell for this format. The only creatures you ever die to are annoying voltron guys that you can't trade with in combat profitably, and this card not only kills those, but it also acts as a trick trump when people try to save their guys from yours with pumps.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 3:


That ram has been getting a lot of hype, and I would be willing to try it but it is definitely not very aggressive, which I want to be in this deck. I will happily take a 2/1 flyer.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 4:


I wish I knew how Sightless Brawler was. Maybe I should have taken it to try it, but it actually seems like a lot to ask from both a creature and a bestow - you won't always have a buddy to attack with, and if you do it'll likely be small and easy to trade with, leaving you with a useless pile of poop that you invested all this mana in.

I wanted to take Skink again, but I was pretty impressed with the Cranes last draft.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 5:


So impressed that I decided to double down. Still no love for High Priest, but I want there to be.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 6:


I haven't actually got to try Akroan Mastiff yet, but don't be decieved by my unwillingness to pick it. I think it is good. However, I also think that Satyr Hoplite will contribute to some very strong nutdraws and I feel like that is how I want to win the game. I could be wrong, it's still early. Desperate Stand is interesting, but I don't like how demanding color-wise it is, and it not being an instant really seals the deal.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:


I think Line Breaker is probably good, but I like +1/+1 heroic guys way better.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:


I still like Blinding Flare (even though I didn't get to cast it last draft), but so far I'm lacking good pump spells. Rouse the Mob isn't even really good, but it's not unreasonable to get two heroic triggers out of it. Plus, it gives trample, which is a pretty desirable quality in this format (or at least, it was in TTT and BTT).

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:


Argh, I must have been tabbed away for this pick. That Stonewise Fortifier would have been fantastic in my deck.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:


Kids eat, etc. I would have taken Archetype of Courage.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 2:


I like it when decisions are easy.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 3:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:


I like Bolt enough to want 3, but man, Thunder Brute is a beefcake and I didn't get to take him enough in BTT.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 6:


Making up for lost beefcake time

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:


I like Rise to the Challenge a lot more than Nyxborn Rollicker, but I feel like with two Satyr Hoplites, this is a more robust turn 2 play.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:


Hoplite and red Ordeal must be in a run together or something.

With two Satyr Hoplites, this is one of the best cards I could have opened.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 2:


Wow nice, and I get to take the 100 handed one too!

Although, in retrospect, I have to wonder if Dauntless Onslaught would have been a better pick. I suspect that it might have been.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 3:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 4:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!


Not that many tough decisions in the last pack. I like this deck, but I can't help but notice that it seems to be harder to find quality cards to trigger heroic in the full block.

I won this draft pretty easily. Both my round 1 and round 2 opponents had pretty weak looking green based decks that didn't draw enough mana in any of the games. My round 3 opponent had a U/R deck with a ton of removal, but it was easy enough to just play a Thunder Brute and take him to pound town.

No comments:

Post a Comment