Thursday, May 15, 2014

JBT #1

  Pack 1 pick 1:




Nice! I get to start this format off with an excellent rare. Good thing because nothing else here catches my eye. There are a few nice white cards and I suppose Magma Spray could be good enough to take first, but luckily I don't have to think about it. I might even wheel a nice white card.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:


Well, I'm clueless already. There's a removal card in Feast of Dreams, but my meager experience with this format (the SCG Team Classic where I played with Frank Skarren and Gerard Fabiano) seemed to indicate that it was not actually that good. I was choosing between Satyr Hoplite and Hubris. Hubris seems really strong but ultimately I went with Hoplite, since I wanted to try R/W Heroic.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 3:


Keeping with the R/W Heroic theme, I took this 0/4. I think Starfish and Cloaked Siren might be way stronger cards.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 4:


Bladetusk Boar seems kinda nice, although in retrospect it seems like I'm undervaluing Akroan Mastiff.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 5:


I really wanted to take Sigiled Skink actually, but I had heard that this crane card was very strong.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 6:


Touch choice between Eagle of the Watch and Oreksos Swiftclaw. In older draft formats, the flyer would have been way better, but I think in these newer draft formats having 2 drops is just the best ever.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:


Well, if I'm gonna make a heroic deck, I need things to target my creatures, and this seems better than the two crappy white cards.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:


That 2/3 seems kinda crappy, and 5 mana seems a lot for Punish the Enemy, sometimes. Blinding Flare seems like it could impact the board in meaningful ways, plus I can get extra heroic triggers out of it.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:


Wow, sick table.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:


Finally, back to cards I know. 

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 2:


I hope this guy is still good.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 3:


I've started to realize that I don't have a whole lot of tricky things to trigger heroic with. This is far from tricky, but it still gets a trigger, and it's beefy. Plus the only other red and white cards are pretty bad.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 4:


Argh, this was a hard pick. I really wanted Everflame Eidolon, but I feel like every good aggressive deck has lots of 2 drops.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:


I might use this.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 6:


I'm nervous about this guy's mana requirements, but I think he is better than Pharagax Giant.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 7:


I should have taken Mortal's Ardor. I was too focused on how these dope ass blue cards were still in the pack and how someone doesn't deserve to have a Sudden Storm. On the plus side, there's one less Sudden Storm in the draft.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:


Rest assured my squadron will be fearsome.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:


Dauntless Onslaught would be the perfect card for this deck, but I'm not playing for the thrill of fucking victory here. I owe rent, alimony, child support. I play for money. My kids eat.


  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 2:


JEEEZ WHIP

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 3:


This was a very very hard pick. I know there's a lot of hands here and that card is awesome, and Akroan Hoplite is awesome too, but I think Ordeal of Purphoros is way too strong, especially with Satyr Hoplite (and to a lesser extent, the loser 0/4).

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 4:


I like Giant but I want to keep my curve low.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 5:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!


I like the way this deck turned out, although I really wanted to try Lightning Diadem. 17 lands might be too many, but with two Rouse the Mob and three Fearsome Temper, I figured I could use the mana.

Round 1, I played vs. a B/R removal deck. In game 1, I played out a bunch of dorky losers only to see them die to an Asphyxiate or whatever. The last big threat I played was Dawnbringer Charioteers, which stuck and was targeted with a couple nice things and put the game away super quickly.

I lost game 2 after having to trade two of my cards (Oreksos Sun Guide + Rouse the Mob) for his 2/3 rare inspired gild guy that I could never beat otherwise. After that, I had no gas and drew a couple lands and died to some unexciting creatures.

Game 3, my opponent had no creatures OR removal for the first few turns, so he let me get him super low with early drops and when he finally tapped out for something I played Ordeal on a heroic guy (with a counter already) and skulled him for the full amount.

Round 2, I played vs. a G/R deck. His first play was Fanatic of Xenagos on turn 3 in game 1, which I gave haste to since I didn't want to get pounded to death, and I at least had a shot of trading with a 3/3. At least, I did until he put Fearsome Temper on it. I tried to race it with Archetype of Aggression + Ordeal of Purphoros, but he had Lightning Strike to stop that plan.

I don't really remember how games 2 and 3 went exactly, unfortunately. I know that I won game 2, but lost game 3 to another timely Lightning Strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment