Friday, September 18, 2015

ORI ORI ORI #3

  Pack 1 pick 1:





This pick comes down to Outland Colossus vs. Reave Soul. Reave is a premier common and a cheap removal spell that kills most things you want to kill in this format. I like black a lot too. Outland Colossus, however, is a tough-to-kill bomby card that wins if it isn't answered. I went with Colossus.


  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 2:


The best green card, Llanowar Empath, is worse than the Griffin and all the good red cards. I didn't really want a griffin, so I took the best red card - Thopter Engineer.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 3:


Tough pick. With no red card, the only on-color card I'd consider is Titanic Growth, and I think that's worse enough than the most powerful card, Separatist Voidmage, that I'd rather just take the voidmage. Plus, if I do end up U/G, the Krasis might wheel.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 4:


Ugh. The on-color cards kinda suck, and I'm being passed black cards, and I did get passed a good blue card, so I decide to gamble on Possessed Skaab.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 5:


Pretty happy to see this voidmage. I think this card is kinda underrated.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 6:


I don't like Bone to Ash here (you can basically pick up one of these if you want one whenever you want in any draft), and the black cards suck, so I have to decide between Yeva's Forcemage and the Scout. I went with the Scout since I'll probably end up playing blue, and I like U/R better than U/G.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 7:


Decent black card. There's actually a deceptively high number of blue enchantments to trigger this guy.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 8:


Pretty happy to see this so late.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 9:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 10:


This card is already pretty nice, but its value goes way up with Blightcaster.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 11:


Blightcaster value

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 12:


MORE blightcaster value. Stratus Walk is better than Scarring because it replaces itself right away, and it's useful to either force your one guy past their many, or your many past their one.

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 1 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 1:


Bleh. If I had somehow stuck to green I'd have had two great rares. As is, I'm still pretty happy with Unholy Hunger.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 2:


Excellent card. Love my deck so far.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 3:


Well, I'm not happy about this pick, but I'm not really passing anything good either. Pretty smelly pack.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 4:


This pack sucks too. I took Angel's Tomb because I was looking at the glut of 4s on my curve, and Tomb could be nice with two Voidmages. If I could go back, I'd take Weight of the Underworld, since it works better with Blightcaster.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 5:


With Tomb, I wanted to be attacking, so I took Deadbridge. If I had correctly picked the Weight, I think Mizzium Meddler is a bit better.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 6:


Nice! An enchantment for Blightcaster, and I already have the tomb for the ultracombo.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 7:


Gettin' scrappy

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 8:


Lucky to see a decent 2 drop so late.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 9:


I like this card in general, but its value goes way up in a Thopter Spy Network deck.

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 11:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 2 pick 15:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 1:


Very skillful open. I'm passing a couple cards I kinda want like Tower Geist and Shambling Ghoul, but Gilt-Leaf Winnower is so unbelievably strong.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 2:


I'm kinda hurting on the 2 slot on my curve, but I think the value of the first Blightcaster goes way up when you take a second one. Plus, I already have a bunch of nice enchantments.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 3:


I had a hard time deciding between Cruel Revival and Reave Soul. I went with Cruel. I think if I were passing a ton of Topan Freeblades and similar cards, I'd have taken Reave Soul.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 4:


Sucky pack, but like I said, if you want a bone to ash you'll have a chance to take one.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 5:


One card win condition that helps alleviate flood AND plays super well with my 2 blightcasters? Sign me up.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 6:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 7:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 8:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 9:


I don't have that many creatures, so casting Skaab is not trivial.

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 10:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 11:


Wow!

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 12:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 13:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 14:

  My Pick:


  Pack 3 pick 15:

  My Pick:


This draft converter created by Benjamin Peebles-Mundy.
Visit the draft converter today!


I think this deck is very very good.

I ended up not getting enough artifacts to make Thopter Spy Network good, even if I did have the power combo. That made Angel's Tomb a pretty easy cut since it's kinda lackluster in this deck otherwise.

I went 3-0 pretty easily. All my opponents were green, which explains why I never saw anything besides the two rares I opened. My opponent in the finals had both Nissa AND Woodland Bellower.

I made excellent use of the Separatist Voidmages in this draft. On one turn I played Possessed Skaab to return a Voidmage from the graveyard to my hand, then instantly bounced the Skaab. Since it only exiles itself when it dies and not when it leaves the battlefield, you're free to keep bouncing it as many times as you want to reuse its trigger. I basically got a free Voidmage out of the deal, since I instantly recast it to get back a Cruel Revival. You can hang on to it though and set up infinite blockers with the Voidmage you resurrect, if you need something like that.

I also used a Voidmage to bounce my Gilt-Leaf Winnower that got hit with Suppression Bonds. Value for days. That one is a bit more obvious, but still a really strong play.

No comments:

Post a Comment